Monday, April 19, 2010

So Over Moving

Last week we moved to our final rental.  Although it is a comfortable place and will work nicely for us, I just can't wait to get back into the house.  I'm done.  Stan, being the easy going one, takes this in stride - I do not.  Two months will seem like nothing when it is over but right now it's dragging on forever.

My recollections of last week pretty much cover the bad and the ugly (moving AGAIN) and not the good.  The electrician and A.V. guy began work, the gardeners tore out more of the jungle, etc.  Beyond that is a blur.

Today I picked all the interior colors, more than two, so we're over budget again.  Greens, grayish greens, one eggplant/purple wall in the dining room and a couple of beige/wheat colors.  A fairly neutral palate but lots of light coming into this house will make the colors change.


I also went with Rudy and Abel (our gardeners) to buy plants.   Christie and John, you will not be surprised that I haven't learned a damn thing about controlling myself at a nursery.  Hopefully, though, your wisdom filtered into my choices.  We bought several colors of New Zealand Flax (Phormium), Rock Rose (Cistus) in white and pink, Mexican Sage and a couple of other varieties of Sage, Lavendar, Rosemary, grasses, 3 Protea and a Leucadendron and Kangaroo Paws.  It's wonderful to learn I can grow a lot of the same things here as in Cambria, drought tolerant plants are a must (San Diego is on water rationing as far as outdoor watering is concerned).  We've already filled other garden spots with Kangaroo Paws, Flax, NZ Tea Trees, asparagus fern and Gardenia's (something I couldn't grow in Cambria and not terribly drought tolerant - an occasional excess isn't too bad :-).  After all this goes into the ground we will still have much to do but beginning is exciting and spirit lifting.  Having said that, we meet (tomorrow) with the tree guy and a friend of his who does landscape design.  The backyard is much more challenging than the front (though not as large) and mostly granite.  I'm wanting to plant all the succulents I brought, Agave's, Citrus trees and other kinds of trees.  I need expert advice.  Hopefully we'll get a plan going tomorrow and Pete (the tree guy) will commit to a date to plant trees.  By the way, the nemesis of the gardener in this area.....bunnies!  Lot's o rabbits everywhere!  I wanted to plant lettuce in the herb garden but I fear we'd never see a leaf.



Today at the house all the dry wall was delivered, they'll begin work tomorrow.  The electrical and plumbing inspection was taking place when I left, hopefully it is a go.  Insulation will go in tomorrow and that inspection will take place on Wednesday.  The pocket doors (3) were installed today so they can be dry walled at the same time as everything else.  (We still haven't made a front door decision.) Dry walling will begin in the master bedroom so that we can move in on or about May 15.  When dry wall is complete in the m.b. the painter will do his thing and the floor will be laid in that room.  By then the rest of the house will be ready for paint, etc.  As we tried to narrow the time-line down (with our project manager last Thursday), it became clear we probably have an additional month before completion.  Lot's of it will be loose ends and final inspections but it will be mid-June before it is finished.  In the meantime, our goal to have Mother's birthday party at the house on May 30 is still in place.  All the floors may not be wood, some could still be concrete and all the countertops may not be finished or the painting.  I'm glad it is a family party!

We can't say enough good things about our project manager and all the sub's working on our home.  A wonderful group of quality professionals and for this we thank Marrokal.  We still have issues with them and no one seems anxious to find resolution.  Stan may have to handle it with the checkbook if no answers are forthcoming.



The Chinese chest be bought to replace the altar table we sold to the new owners of the Cambria house.


While looking for something I came across one of my favorite silly little books "Today I Will Nourish My Inner Martyr" "Affirmations for Cynics" by Ann Thornhill & Sarah Wells. Let me share.....

"On this day I will look at my past mistakes and project them onto the future."

Resources:
Great for finding the right plants for your area
I'm not using Frazee paint but they have wonderful colors that can be copied by any paint company (using Dunn Edwards, painter likes it's formula and it has low VOC's)

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I hope you are feeling much better. You certainly are making progress and the front yard is amazing. Such fun for you. Can't wait to see what the back hill looks like. A tree to block out the neighbor's house?? Love the new chest. Color is good and you have such a great eye. Stan needs to build a 'wire mesh cage' to go over the top of your raised vegie beds. I'm sure your neighbors are loving it. Has Stan managed a golf game yet?? I have the same Martyr book and refer to it frequently. :o)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete