Saturday, May 1, 2010

Can It Be May?

No pictures this week.  You'll just have to believe me when I say our bedroom has been painted, the concrete floor is prepped for wood, most of the walls (in the house) have been finished and are awaiting paint and the backyard is coming together.  I have to go away more often, things move swiftly in my absence.

This week saw the planting of trees on our mountain of granite and the building of a retaining wall out of concrete blocks.  Today we shopped for herbs and roses.  Our gardeners come Monday to finish working on the drip system and plant.  We're putting in a Meyer Lemon, a Mexican Lime and a Cara Cara Orange with the herbs underneath.  We'll also put the roses in and work on planting all the succulents we shlepped from Cambria.  Last Sunday I stepped up on the lower part of the back slope (to place the pots of succulents for planting) when what should I meet passing by - a King snake!   In my mind it was at least 10 feet long, Stan says it was 3 1/2' at the most.  I uttered a mumble and then said "Mother of God" which I'm convinced never crossed my lips (or mind) before this chance meeting.  While Stan finished whatever it was he was doing, I sat in the car completely stunned.  I don't know if I can ever get up on that hill again.  I'm not cut out for this kind of stuff.  Lizards are one thing, snakes.....not a chance I'll adjust and while Stan was the usual Mr. Calm & Collected, I didn't see him smiling either.

Next week there will be pictures and more progress to report.  We are two weeks away from moving back in, four from Mom's birthday (OMG!).  Everyone seems intent on making this happen.  All the lights and plumbing fixtures are in the garage, the tile has been ordered, flooring and cabinets come in at the end of next week (I think).

More soon..........

1 comment:

  1. Let's just pray to whomever that OG doesn't meet the slithering reptile..... I really shudder to think. Sounds like you are moving right along and can't wait for more photos. :o)) Stay safe and off the hillside!!! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete